How to protect your hearing and prevent hearing loss?
- Noise-induced hearing loss is usually permanent and progresses with each exposure. Use proper ear protection when working around loud noises.
- Never put foreign objects in the ear.
- Do not use cotton swabs to probe or clean the ear canals.
- Do not put cotton balls or liquids into the ear unless prescribed by a doctor.
- Treat middle ear infections as soon as possible. Hearing loss may be prevented by prompt treatment. Most doctors believe that fluid in the middle ear (called an effusion) lasting longer than 6 weeks should be drained and tympanostomy tubes(ear tubes) placed in the middle ear.
- If you are taking medications that can cause hearing loss, your doctor should carefully monitor their levels with blood tests.